Sunday, December 28, 2008

Kingdom of Fear - Hunter S. Thompson

This is a modern day story about Peter Pan - the boy who never wanted to grow up, only Hunter was more like the young man who never wanted to get old, so maybe it's not really a modern day Peter Pan story, but an 'i should never have made my fifties' story.

Either way, reading this autobiography led me to realise two things. 1. I find 'fuck you' arrogance boring after a while, and 2. HST was one very smart man (and he knew it). 

A compilation of letters, essays, journal entries, memoirs, articles and photos, this book weaves a windy path through some of the highlights of HST's life and acts as a fitting farewell considering it was not long after that he pulled the trigger on himself. 

Kingdom of Fear is also a fascinating look at how one American experienced the death/demise/destruction/betrayal of the 'American Dream' and acts as an intriguing commentary on modernity and who it has failed. Especially chillingly precise was Hunter's piece on September 11 which I imagine I will re-read for some time to come. 

It's definitely appropriate that Penguin (the publishers) have deemed this a 'modern classic' and sell it for the very reasonable price of $9.95, which I am grateful for since this is what ultimately tempted me to put it in my basket, though I wonder what HST would think of this, being sold between Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and Nick Hornby's High Fidelity?

Not very Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is it?

No comments: