Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Road, Cormac McCarthy

I can't claim I didn't know what I was in for with this one. I did. I'd been warned this book would drain me. I'd been told of the deep sighs it would cause. I knew this was going to be emotionally tough. But, having said that, this book is nothing short of a masterpiece, in my very humble opinion.

As I followed the father and son through a post/apocalyptic world there were three things that really stuck me.
1. The sparseness of the prose - the discipline it takes to write with such exact language, with not a word wasted, is phenomenal. 2. The relationship between the father and son - I thought I had at least a basic handle on 'intense'. I was wrong.
3. The wisdom and desperation of adulthood, and the dulling of our senses - social programming has a lot to answer for.

The Road is, hands down, one of the best books I've ever read

No comments: